Saturday, August 9, 2008

Beijing Olympic Games 08.08.08

I shared the joy and pride in watching the 2008 Olympics officially unveiled and opened in my ancestor land - CHINA. I would say the grandest of all and most historical in terms of Chinese history to be shown in a world event.

OK, I'm Chinese, born in Malaysia and I call myself a Malaysian. But somehow still identified as Malaysian Chinese in my homeland! Nevermind, that's our government's policy. What makes me so proud is my Chinese blood still running deep in me and seeing how my ancestor land has developed into such powerhouse. I overheard one of the English-speaking commentator was saying in another 10 years China will have the biggest economy in the world! It is a fact.

It is a fact that nobody can denied that China has in a decade or so ago shunned the outside world - a real communist state at that time. Imagine North Korea. Now, how the dragon has awoken to these days have made many countries including Malaysia lagging a real distance behind, economically especially. A bit shy for me to admit.

It is not that Malaysia can't do it. But why are we not doing it or even try to do it? Are we not good enough? Just look at Malaysia's position in world sports (badminton is not a major Olympics game and squash is not in it) and ability to compete with the best in the world. We are not even there, shoulder to shoulder. Whether we can hold this ultimate games in our shores or winning gold medals against the big boys, we are just lacking in execution, only talk.

An event like the Olympics is a symbol of success for a developed nation. Our national goal is achieving a developed status, target is in year 2020. Today we are staring at 2008, do a simple calculation, yet we are almost going backward. One minister even has the neck to say the world always "disturb and hurt" Malaysia's economy in every 10-year cycle!!! This minister with an alphabet 'R' in his first name, must be a good joker.

The political developments in Malaysia too will pull the nation backward for another 10-20 years if not address now. I say 10-20 years because I'm just comparing Malaysia to Singapore. Remind you, our southern neighbor is many times smaller than Malaysia in size. But the leaders there have a big heart and practise fair and good governance.

The present government will never change in its approach, in fact is going backward. The lob-sided policies have all taken their roots in Malaysia and are so hard to be even altered. Malaysians except a few are not reaping the fruits planted by our grandparents, parents and us. So, what is left for our 3rd generation....gloomy.

CHANGE is unprecedented!

No comments: