Monday, July 14, 2008

Honey, they shrunk the....products!

I know there are many grouses in the past since the essential goods risen in Malaysia. To add salt to wounds, the fuel hike was the mother of all increases that makes everybody angry except (there is exception to anything in Malaysia!) the ONE party, its cronies and hardcore supporters. Or should I say the corrupted ones???

Well, it is not the topic here. What I'm trying to say this time is about the contents of some goods that used to be 'that much' are now 'this much'. For instance, instant noodles which are much smaller in potion....I need one and a half packs to fill my stomach now. In other word, it is only three quarter a pack nowadays. 'Mamee instant snack noodle' is a classic example. It is so so small now that you could hardly believe your eyes. It just makes you want to "curse" a little every time you take a bite at it.

I got another classic example of 'selling price remains but the contents have shrunk or reduced' due to increase in manufacturing cost. I'm talking about Sunkist Orange Juice Drink with Juicy Sacs. Well, two weeks ago I went to a friend's house and was served a cup of the juice. I instantly felt good with it. It was an instant hit, so juicy especially with plentiful of juicy orange sacs. So, came last week I bought it at a supermarket since my kid was pestering me to get one.

But hey, it never crossed my mind that the sacs in the pack that I bought was so much little than the cup that I had at my friend's house. Imagine, a cup filled with juicy orange sacs to the brim and the one I had at home was ONLY scattered or partially filled!!! And the juice tasted so much like orange squash. Know what I mean?

I beg someone to answer this question, "Is there a double standard in the packing or I have bought the new stock and thus the contents have changed due to the rising cost?" Even the Gardenia bread is not spared. If only you noticed, it has become so much lighter. But they have managed to make it fluffy still, as disguise maybe. A double slice is just not enough for your morning breakfast.

So, the next time you come across your daily essentials, please take a careful look and compare 'now and then'. Oh, and the price as well. Then, make a shout-out like this, "HONEY, THEY SHRUNK THE PRODUCTS".

No comments: